US and South Korean forces took part in a joint operation to demonstrate anti-submarine and ballistic missile capabilities off the coast of the Korean Peninsula Monday. The Navy’s USS Spruance guided missile destroyer and P-3 Orion patrol aircraft joined South Korean Aegis destroyers, submarines, anti-submarine helicopters, and P-3s in the drill, which was held “in response to recent North Korean provocations and is designed to send a strong message of unified resolve against continuing acts of North Korean aggression,” according to a US 7th Fleet release. North Korea has carried out numerous missile tests, including of submarine-launched ballistic missiles from off its eastern coast, and a fifth nuclear test in recent months. Last week, two B-1B Lancers flew closer to the demilitarized zone than any other B-1 in history as a show of force following the Sept. 9 nuclear test. (See also: Airmen Ready to Fight Tonight, Across the Pacific.)
Lt. Gen. Dan Caine, nominee to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Defense Department needs to upgrade its electronic warfare capability and its EW training ranges; just as his predecessor said at his own confirmation hearing.