Erin Conaton faced members of the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday during her confirmation hearing to be the undersecretary of the Air Force. She was nominated just last week to fill the post that has been vacant since August 2007. In advance policy questions, the Senators asked several questions about the DOD Executive Agent for Space post that the Air Force undersecretary held for several years before the Office of the Secretary of Defense took it away. Conaton noted that the Air Force currently is reviewing the “organization and management of space issues” and that the Quadrennial Defense Review and Space Posture Review will also “inform and assist the Air Force in developing the way ahead, to include lines of authority and organizational structures.” (Air Force Secretary Michael Donley wants USAF to get the role back, and Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz agrees.) (Conaton responses to advance questions)
Lt. Gen. Dan Caine, nominee to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Defense Department needs to upgrade its electronic warfare capability and its EW training ranges; just as his predecessor said at his own confirmation hearing.