The Air Force will not continue involuntary force reductions in Fiscal 2015 as previously planned, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James announced Tuesday morning. “Enough is enough. We are as low as we are going to go,” the Secretary said during an online Open Door town hall-style meeting. “We have reduced far enough. We will not go leaner, and we will fight to hold on to the numbers now that we have.” In terms of new airmen coming in and experienced airmen staying on, “we need both,” James said. The Fiscal 2014 force shaping was supposed to provide that balance. “Analysis is analysis and real world is the real world,” James said, adding that in her travels over the last year, she has grown less convinced that involuntary force management is needed. The Secretary took questions from Twitter (with the #SecAfchat hashtag), Facebook, Skype, video, and from a live audience at Fort Meade, Md. (DOD report.)
Lt. Gen. Dan Caine, nominee to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Defense Department needs to upgrade its electronic warfare capability and its EW training ranges; just as his predecessor said at his own confirmation hearing.