A Chinese fighter on Aug. 19 conducted a “dangerous intercept” of a US Navy P-8 surveillance aircraft flying a “routine mission” some 135 miles east of Hainan Island in international airspace over the South China Sea, Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby announced Aug. 22. Kirby said the People’s Liberation Army Air Force J-11 (a variant of the Su-27) acted “aggressive[ly]” and “very unprofessional[ly].” The jet made three dangerous passes to the aircraft, including one that was very close underneath, one within 30 feet of the US aircraft’s wingtips, and one pass right off the nose with its belly facing the cockpit, with the clear intention of displaying its air-to-air missiles, said Kirby. The US has registered its concerns with the Chinese through official diplomatic channels as of Friday, he added, noting the act undermines efforts to build military-to-military relations with the PLA. Earlier this year, a Russian Su-27 conducted a dangerous intercept of a USAF RC-135 flying in airspace near Japan. (Kirby transcript.)
Air Force Changes Rules for Pregnant Aircrew—Again
April 3, 2025
The Air Force is changing its policy for pregnant aircrew, generally reverting to rules set in 2019 that barred female aviators from flying during the first trimester—or from flying in aircraft with ejection seats at all—due to potential risks to the pilot and her unborn fetus.