While Pentagon officials have revealed some details about the architecture behind the Golden Dome missile defense project, crafting an independent cost estimate for a largely classified program remains a challenge, experts said Aug. 19.
Space
The Space Force will maintain its aging weather satellite fleet—which provides key forecasting data for military planners—until at least 2028 as it transitions to a new replacement architecture.
The Space Force's recently activated 1st Electromagnetic Warfare Squadron is its first unit to combine the Bounty Hunter system with the new Meadowlands, part of a larger push to field and operate powerful EW capabilities across the force.
A novel program to integrate U.S. and Japanese space capabilities was “completed” last week when a Japanese navigation satellite carrying a U.S. Space Force payload launched into orbit.
The Space Force wants contractors to sweep decommissioned satellites out of orbit when their useful lives are over, and it's signed up three companies to advance its Deorbit-as-a-Service project: Firefly Aerospace, Katalyst Space, and D-Orbit.
The Space Force announced five new contract awards for its Space Data Network, broadening the vendor base for the proliferated data transport constellation.
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Dan Caine, Air Force Secretary Troy Meink, and Chief Master Sergeant of the Space Force John F. Bentivegna paid tribute to Gen. B. Chance Saltzman at the Chief of Space Operations’ Aug. 13 retirement ceremony, ahead of ...
The head of U.S. Space Command said Aug. 12 that operations in Iran have shown just how vulnerable ground-based space assets—particularly missile defense systems—are to attack and called for a more resilient, mobile architecture.
The Space Force has tapped startup Impulse Space for two new tactically responsive space missions, the latest in a series meant to build the service’s agility in orbit.