North Korea on Wednesday launched another ballistic missile, the first to land in or near waters controlled by Japan. The medium-range missile flew about 620 miles, making it the longest North Korean launch so far, The Associated Press reported. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the launch was a “serious threat” to his country and called it an “unforgivable act of violence.” US Strategic Command said it had detected two missiles, but one exploded almost immediately. South Korea’s Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said North Korea’s actions showed the country’s desire to “directly and broadly attack” neighboring countries.
Lt. Gen. Dan Caine, nominee to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Defense Department needs to upgrade its electronic warfare capability and its EW training ranges; just as his predecessor said at his own confirmation hearing.