Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has lifted his short-lived hold on James Clapper’s nomination to be director of national intelligence. McCain’s move came Tuesday after Clapper submitted a report McCain had been seeking, reported Reuters. “This report confirms Senator McCain’s longstanding concerns about the poor oversight and cost overruns in intelligence technology programs,” said the senator’s office, according to Reuters. Even with McCain removing his impediment, it is not clear whether the full Senate will take up Clapper’s nomination vote before the Congressional recess starts Aug. 9. In another twist, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) is reportedly considering placing his own hold on Clapper’s vote until he receives a separate report about the release of detainees from the US detainment facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Lt. Gen. Dan Caine, nominee to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Defense Department needs to upgrade its electronic warfare capability and its EW training ranges; just as his predecessor said at his own confirmation hearing.