USAF and DOD officials remain convinced that there should be a sole engine provider for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter—and that is Pratt & Whitney with its F135 engine. Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell reconfirmed that stance Sept. 15 at the Pentagon, when he said, “There is no wavering among anybody in a decision-making position.” There had been some talk generated by program official comments about F135 cost escalation and a recent test mishap that the Pentagon might reconsider abandoning the General Electric-Rolls Royce F136. Morrell said a joint assessment team is taking “a hard look at how Pratt & Whitney is going about its business.” According to Morrell, Pentagon acquisition boss Ashton Carter is not satisfied with either P&W’s or program office’s current approach, but, he added, if all “buckle down … we can get back on schedule and back on cost.” (DOD briefing transcript)
Air Force Changes Rules for Pregnant Aircrew—Again
April 3, 2025
The Air Force is changing its policy for pregnant aircrew, generally reverting to rules set in 2019 that barred female aviators from flying during the first trimester—or from flying in aircraft with ejection seats at all—due to potential risks to the pilot and her unborn fetus.