According to the boss of US Special Operations Command, Adm. Eric Olson, SOCOM still needs a gunship version of the C-27J. He told lawmakers last week that the special operations forces-world believes it’s “very important” to have an airplane that gives it “the capability to operate more remotely with a smaller footprint at a lower operating cost on less improved runways.” In effect, SOCOM wants Air Force Special Operations Command to field something smaller than the current AC-130 gunship. Olson told the Senate Armed Services emerging threats panel, that SOCOM’s analysis of alternatives “identified the C-27J as the preferred alternative to meet that requirement.” However, with the Office of the Secretary of Defense’s reduction of the C-27J program from 78 to 38 aircraft in the 2010, one of the plans put on hold by the Air Force was the so-called gunship light version. In fact, the Air Force told the Daily Report last month that “several platforms are under consideration.” There seem to be disconnects regarding the new C-27. One reason that the C-27 buy got cut is that Defense Secretary Robert Gates believes USAF’s C-130 fleet can handle much of the front-line supply needed by the Army, but that doesn’t solve SOCOM’s gunship light problem.
Air Force Changes Rules for Pregnant Aircrew—Again
April 3, 2025
The Air Force is changing its policy for pregnant aircrew, generally reverting to rules set in 2019 that barred female aviators from flying during the first trimester—or from flying in aircraft with ejection seats at all—due to potential risks to the pilot and her unborn fetus.