Congressmen Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii) and Solomon Ortiz (D-Tex.), writing in an op-ed in the Christian Science Monitor Monday, sounded an increased readiness alarm, citing a classified briefing they had received last month. They said it provided “disturbing” details and the “jaw-dropping” implication that the US armed services are “literally at the breaking point.” They call upon the new Democratic Congress to stop the Administration’s “second-class funding” approach, but they also want to ensure that emergency supplementals do not fund developmental programs. At Pentagon urging, the Air Force and the other services took a broader look at war costs in the latest supplementals, but lawmakers have targeted such Air Force requests as F-35 Joint Strike Fighters to replace legacy aircraft lost in the war.
Lt. Gen. Dan Caine, nominee to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Defense Department needs to upgrade its electronic warfare capability and its EW training ranges; just as his predecessor said at his own confirmation hearing.