The Boeing-Lockheed Martin team vying for the Small Diameter Bomb Increment II program successfully completed its first flight test of its SDB II last month, according to a June 6 Boeing release. An F-15E Strike Eagle flying out of Eglin AFB, Fla., launched the team’s SDB II, which then opened its control fins and wings and followed its planned mission. Boeing and Lockheed hope to win the sole source system design and development phase of the program in late 2009 over SDB II rival Raytheon.
Lt. Gen. Dan Caine, nominee to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Defense Department needs to upgrade its electronic warfare capability and its EW training ranges; just as his predecessor said at his own confirmation hearing.