The Office of Management and Budget is getting up a full head of steam—ready to ram the 2006 defense appropriations measure for cutting $7 billion from the President’s budget request. OMB claims the money will go to fund “non-security-related accounts.” Speaking to reporters last week, Sen. Ted Stevens, who heads the defense appropriations subcommittee, said the cuts were made to stay within Congressional spending limits. Regardless, OMB says, it will urge the President to veto any measure “that significantly underfunds” the Defense Department. According to OMB, the Administration opposes “major reductions” to programs such as the Transformational Communications Satellite, Space Radar, and Space Based Infrared System, and the Joint Strike Fighter. Neither does the Administration like the bill’s Buy American amendments. Such an amendment also would occasion a veto.
Air Force Changes Rules for Pregnant Aircrew—Again
April 3, 2025
The Air Force is changing its policy for pregnant aircrew, generally reverting to rules set in 2019 that barred female aviators from flying during the first trimester—or from flying in aircraft with ejection seats at all—due to potential risks to the pilot and her unborn fetus.